Upgrading Your Electrical Panel to 200 amps
Do you know what your electrical panel amperage is or how many circuits your panel has?
Call our Abbotsford electricians today at 604-308-6195 to ask for a quote on a new electrical panel upgrade for your home.
What does an electrical panel do?
Your home’s electrical panel takes the power supplied to your home by a utility company and regulates the distribution of that power to different locations in your house. Residential electrical codes dictate how much power you are allowed to supply to any given branch of circuits that run throughout your home.
The breakers in your electric panel monitor the power used throughout your home. If the energy draw on any branch of your home exceeds the limitation of the breaker, your wiring will heat up. The breaker will trip if the load limit of the breaker exceeds the rating.
Where can I find my electrical panel?
Normally, electrical panels are located in the basement or on the main floor of a home if there is no basement. Sometimes the panel can be located in the garage if there is one. Electrical panels are metal grey boxes that are either mounted on a wall that is unfinished or within a finished wall. Panels can also be placed in less conspicuous locations such as laundry rooms, closets, or utility rooms. Your electrical panel should be accessible no matter where it is located in your home.
Aging panels can cause a host of problems including:
- Electrical wires that melt as a result of age or circuit overload.
- Fires or shocks caused by overheating when an older breaker doesn’t trip properly.
- Lights that intermittently flicker for no logical reason.
- Fuses that burn out or breakers that trip regularly.
- Appliances that will not function unless another appliance is turned off.
The safety and well-being of your family, your home, and your belongings are more than enough reason to consider upgrading your electrical panel. Don’t put your family and property at risk. If your panel is unsuitable for your home’s needs, call our Abbotsford electricians at 604-308-6195 to have us upgrade your panel to 200 amps.
What are some signs that I may need a new electrical panel?
- Fuse boxes or electrical panels that crackle
- Ungrounded electrical outlets (outlets with only two prongs and no ground)
- Your panel shows signs of rust or corroded breakers within the panel
- The inability of your appliances to run at full power
- Ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) not located in critical areas specified by code
- Your existing panel is less than 200 amps
Contact Us for a Panel Upgrade
The cost to replace your electrical panel is minimal when compared to the damage that can be caused by an electrical fire and the risk that older, outdated panels and panel wiring pose to your family and your possessions.
Premium Electric provides affordable electrical services to many communities in the Fraser Valley included Abbotsford, Chilliwack and Mission, and would be pleased to serve you. Call our Abbotsford electricians at 604-308-6195 about upgrading your electrical panel today. We can also be reached by email or through our online Contact Form.
Premium Electric also offers 24-hour emergency electrical services.