When Do I Need a Home Electrical Safety Inspection?
Many home buyers will get an electrical safety inspection prior to purchasing a new home to ensure that all the electrical wiring is safe and up to code. This helps eliminate unpleasant surprises down the road and if any electrical issues are found, your Realtor can likely work this into negotiations and your offer.
Some home insurance companies will even require electrical inspections prior to issuing a Home Insurance policy.
An electrical safety inspection for Landlords is also a good idea when new tenants move in, to ensure the property is safe. As a landlord in BC you are required to replace or repair electrical systems as they wear out with age. Furthermore, electrical repairs performed by non-qualified relatives or friends are not only in violation of building codes and municipal law, but you could also be legally liable if a tenant or a guest is injured as a result. A rental property electrical safety inspection by a licensed electrician can reduce your risk of this.
As a current homeowner it is also a good idea to get an electrical inspection when your home is more than 40 years old, if you plan to add a new appliance, or if you have just completed a major renovation project.
Basic Home Electrical Safety Inspection Checklist
An electrical safety inspection by our Premium Electric Abbotsford electricians includes:
- Electrical wiring and components inspection
- Aluminum wiring and knob and tube wiring checks
- Checks for proper adherence to current Canadian Electrical Code in BC
- Proper light bulb wattage checks
- Switch and wall outlet inspection for operation and condition
- Shock or electrocution hazard checks around the home
- Arc fault circuit interrupters (AFCIs) verification
- Safety and security lighting checks
- Surge protection validation
- Grounding systems confirmation
- Smoke detector testing
- Electrical panel inspection (labels, amp, operation)
- Outdoor electrical system(s) examination
At the end of our inspection one of our electricians will review the detailed report and if needed explain all the areas of your home’s electrical system needing attention. We will also point out areas that are perfectly safe but could be improved for efficiency.
Cost of Home Electrical Safety Inspection
A residential electrical safety inspection by Premium Electric’s Abbotsford or Mission electricians varies in price based on the size and age of your home, plus whether a gas safety inspection is also required. Call us at 604-308-6195for a price estimate.
Premium Electric provides safety installations to protect your home from potentially hazardous situations. These home electrical upgrades keep your family safe and can include:
- Whole home surge protection
- Carbon monoxide CO2 alarms
- Smoke detectors and alarms
- Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCI) outlets
- Automatic lighting controls
Ask Us About Home Electrical Safety Inspections
Our Abbotsford electricians service Abbotsford, Mission, Chilliwack, Aldergrove and other communities throughout the Fraser Valley and Lower Mainland. Let us help you protect your home or rental property with a professional electrical safety inspection.
Contact Premium Electric Today
To book a free in-home, residential electrical consultation with our Premium Electric Abbotsford or Mission electricians please:
Send us an email
Call us at 604-308-6195
Or fill out our online contact form.