Knob and Tube Wiring Frequently Asked Questions

In this post, we’ll provide answers to some of the most common questions about knob and tube wiring replacement.

When was knob and tube wiring used?

Knob and Tube wiring (aka open wiring or K&T wiring) is now obsolete but it was the standard form of electrical wiring used in Canada and the United States between the late 1800s and the mid-1930s. That means, if you own a home or you are considering buying a home that is pre-1940s, it will most likely have knob and tube wiring installed.

Knob and Tube Wiring Switch

Is K&T wiring dangerous?

Off all the questions we get asked about knob and tube wiring replacement, this one is the most common. No, in and of itself, K&T wiring is not inherently dangerous. However, because of its age, or if the knob and tube wiring have been modified or updated incorrectly, it could be a potential safety hazard. It’s also important to note that there are no ground wires in K&T wiring so you cannot plug in any 3-pronged appliances. If you own an older home that has this type of wiring, our Abbotsford electricians recommend knob and tube wiring replacement to bring your home up to today’s electrical standards.

Will I be able to get insurance for this type of wiring?

Since old K&T wiring violates current electrical code standards most Canadian insurance companies are reluctant to offer coverage and recommend replacing knob and tube wiring. It may be challenging to find but there are a few insurance companies that are still willing to provide K&T wiring insurance, but you will be required to provide proof of an electrical inspection by a certified electrician.

How can I tell if I have knob and tube wiring?

Most electrical wiring is sealed within the walls of your home so it may be difficult to tell if you have K&T wiring, even if some of your outlets are only 2-prong. If you have an attic or basement, most likely the wiring will be visible and easy to inspect. If you suspect your home has this out-dated wiring and you need help, call our Abbotsford electricians at 604-308-6195 and request an electrical safety inspection.

What is the cost of knob and tube wiring replacement?

This is another very common knob and tube wiring FAQ, without a doubt. Old, unsafe wiring can be a real fire hazard so the cost of replacing K&T wiring is always warranted. In most cases, the old knob and tube wiring don’t have to be completely removed. It can simply be disconnected and new wiring installed beside it, which will help to keep costs at a minimum. If your home must be rewired, always hire a qualified election. If you are considering buying an older home that has knob and tube wiring, we recommend you hire a qualified electrician to provide an accurate estimate of the cost to replace your home’s old wiring.

About Premium Electric

Whether you are buying, selling, or simply updating an older home with knob and tube wiring replacement, we can help.

Based in Abbotsford BC, our certified electricians at Premium Electric are highly qualified and experienced at replacing old knob and tube wiring.

Call us if you need electrical wiring upgrades or decide to do a panel upgrade. All our electrical work is fully warrantied and guaranteed and completed with minimal household disruption.

Get in touch with us if you still didn’t find the answer you are looking for in this FAQ about knob and tube wiring replacement or if you have an electrical emergency.

Do you own an older home within the Fraser Valley? We can help if you need an electrician in AbbotsfordLangley, MissionChilliwack, Yarrow, Sardis, or Aldergrove.

The Vancouver Area has a lot of older homes. Call us if you require an electrician in Surrey, Maple RidgePort Moody, Poco/ CoquitlamBurnaby, or New Westminster.

We can be reached at 604-308-6195.

We can also be reached by email or through our online contact us form.


You might also like the following related blog article: Aluminum Wiring FAQ

Share this page

Similar Posts