Can You “PASS” the Fire Fighter Extinguisher Test?
Do you and your family know how to use a fire extinguisher using the PASS Method?
If your home has multiple floors, make sure there is an extinguisher on every floor. Also, make sure every member of your family knows where each extinguisher can be found and how to properly use them. For added protection, our Abbotsford electricians also recommend that you install Co2 and Smoke Alarms on every floor.
No one expects a fire in their home or business but if you had to, would you know how to use a fire extinguisher? Do you know about the PASS Method? You can save lives and minimize property damage if you learn to use the PASS Method correctly.
It is estimated that when a fire begins, every minute that passes allows it to double in size. Knowing exactly where the extinguisher is located and exactly how to use the fire extinguisher pass method is extremely crucial!
The PASS Method
To use an extinguisher correctly following the “PASS” method, there are 4 simple rules recommended by firefighters.
PASS is an acronym for:
P – PULL
Pull the pin from the fire extinguisher.
A – AIM
Aim it towards the base of the flames.
S – SQUEEZE
Squeeze the handle.
S – SWEEP
Sweep the fire extinguisher from side to side across the base of the flames until they are out.
Additional Tips for Using a Fire Extinguisher
To ensure the extinguisher pass method is effective, here are some additional helpful tips and instructions on how to use a fire extinguisher correctly:
- Before grabbing for the extinguisher make sure it is still safe to do so. Do you need to evacuate the building rather than try to put out the fire yourself? Call 911 if needed.
- Make sure that the fire extinguisher you have is multi-purpose, which means it is rated for Class A, B, & C fires. Note that Class C is the specific rating for electrical fires.
- Remember that small portable fire extinguishers in your home or office are simply not equipped to extinguish a large fire. That’s why it’s so important to assess a fire immediately after it begins and decide whether it is safe enough for you to try to put out the fire yourself.
- Do NOT use water on an electrical fire! Water will only spread the fire. Water conducts electricity and will become charged if there is enough water.
- The well-being of your family or co-workers (and their safety) are more important than your premises and belongings. If you can not extinguish the fire safely, quickly leave the premises and call 911.
Did you know that the majority of adults still do not know the fire extinguisher pass method?
Now is a good time to check that your fire extinguishers are where they need to be and that you would be able to use the PASS method (Pull, Aim, Squeeze, and Sweep) should you need to. It is also recommended that you read the specific instructions on your fire extinguisher.
About Premium Electric
Premium Electric Ltd. is located in Abbotsford, BC. We offer both residential and commercial electrical services throughout the Fraser Valley and the Lower Mainland including Abbotsford, Mission, Aldergrove, Chilliwack, Maple Ridge and Poco/ Coquitlam. Our team of certified electricians uses the highest quality materials from local electrical suppliers and guarantees all electrical work we do.
We can also be reached by email.